For this, I am following the popular Learning Creative Learning course and using Mechanical MOOC, and open-source version of the massive open online course software used by Udacity and Coursera and EdX and others. Their github page is well-documented and made this process a breeze -- maybe 30 minutes because I had to install basic things (this is starting from a clean xubuntu installation, well, running on liveusb actually).
|anndd it's live! http://cryptic-sea-7936.herokuapp.com/ for the next few hours/days, at least.|
Sentences highlighted are the non-liveblog, what you actually want to do steps.
- Spin up an xubuntu liveusb... I really don't want to try to do webdev on a windows machine
step 1: git clone https://github.com/p2pu/mechanicalmooc
- Install git
- It's a fairly old xubuntu liveusb (12.10 from lsb_release -a) so some repository 404s initially
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/git/git_188.8.131.52-1_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 184.108.40.206 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
sudo apt-get install git
okay works now.
git clone https://github.com/p2pu/mechanicalmooc
step 2: Spin up a new instance of the heroku cedar stack
- https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/cedar Needs CLI
- Install heroku command-line interfact
wget -qO- https://toolbelt.heroku.com/install-ubuntu.sh | sh
- I get this instance spit out at the end:
http://cryptic-sea-7936.herokuapp.com/ | email@example.com:cryptic-sea-7936.git
- git push firstname.lastname@example.org:cryptic-sea-7936.git
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
- Right, I need to do the remote key thing https://help.github.com/articles/generating-ssh-keys
cd ~/.sshssh-keygen -t rsa -C "email@example.com"cat id_rsa.pub
- Copy paste into https://dashboard.heroku.com/account and hit "Add new key"
- cd ~/mechanicalmooc/
git push firstname.lastname@example.org:cryptic-sea-7936.git
fatal: 'master' does not appear to be a git repository
- lol not a valid command. okay time to refresh flaky memory
enh that is too manpage like for me to understand, try this instead
- Well this works, hope it doesn't mess anything up.
git remote add heroku email@example.com:cryptic-sea-7936.git
git push heroku master
- visit site http://cryptic-sea-7936.herokuapp.com/